Thursday, July 18, 2013

Episode 21

EPISODE 21

EPISODE 21
I held onto Dad in fear as the flower vase behind us shattered. “Jesus!” I screamed.
Bolu nodded. “It is a pity Jesus is up there right now and he has more important things to deal with, the poor, Syrian gun fire and more, not us. He is too busy for us.”
Dad pushed me aside and faced Bolu. “Have you gone mad? What was that for?”
Bolu smiled. “Tunji, when are these kids getting married? The pace has really slowed down, I need money.”
“There is no way I would allow my daughter marry your son!” Dad replied.
Bolu scoffed. “That’s one huge joke. You know what would happen if they don’t get married.”
Dad hissed. “You just threatened my life before my daughter, do you know what this implies?”
“What? Is she disappointed in her father in law already?”
I trembled as I sat at the door listening to two greedy old men. “I won’t marry David.” I screamed.
Dad and Bolu stared at me. “What?”
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
“He’s gone, let’s go inside.” David said.
Oyinkan flared. “David, you are very insensitive! That is no way to talk to a man who has done you no harm.”
He hissed. “You don’t even know that guy! He has always been in my face. I hate him.”
“I know him. Ben has been my friend for a while now, and we have enjoyed a good friendship and I trust him.”
He nodded. “Do you like him?”
“Of course! He is my friend.”
David hissed. “I mean, do you love him?”
She scoffed. “I love Ben, but not in the way you think, I don’t have the room to be in love with anyone again. But I stick out for my friends, and Ben, is a friend.”
David held her hand. “I am sorry, can we talk about me for now?”
She shook her head in disagreement. “Solve your problems, David. I am going to look for Ben.” She said, and turned to walk away.
He dragged her hand back. “Please Oyinkan, I don’t know what to do, I want to find Kimberly.”
She scoffed. “Kimberly is important to Ben too.”
He took a deep breath. “Are you going really going after Ben?”
She nodded. “Yes, just call Kim’s lines or check her house. Your skeletons might have been too much for her, she probably had to hide.”
“I haven’t told her yet about the marriage agreement clause when she left.”
She sighed. “Make sure you tell her soon.”
“She may never forgive me, Oyinkan. My life is nothing without her.”
She took a deep breath. “I know, it has always been like that.” She said and pecked his cheek. “There is a man roaming the streets now because of the same woman, he probably has no life without her too. I have to find him.” She added with a smile and walked away.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Mirabel passed the champagne bottle to Tola. “I love drinking from the bottle.” She said. “But Mom would kill me if she saw me do that, she would say, we are civilized people, and civilized people should never do such.”
“I quite agree with her.” Tola replied, pouring her glass.
Mirabel snickered. “Who cares? I spent my life horseback riding, bungee jumping, snowboarding and anything fun, I never really care about this family. Wole is their son.”
“They love you too.” Tola replied.
Mirabel smiled. “I know, sweetheart. But they want too much from me.” she replied, as she gulped from the bottle. “I want to express myself in any way that I possibly can, and that’s what life is about, expressions, not impressions.”
“Impressions matter too.” Tola replied, nodding.
Mirabel nudged her. “How are you coping with Wole? That dude is too proper. Not fun at all.”
Tola nodded. “I might agree with you on that note.”
She smiled. “See? He must be with Dad and Mom now discussing how the country is rotten and is needing of good people.”
Tola smiled. “Wole is a lovely guy, he is sweet and honest.”
“All my female friends adore him, when we were back in the States, some would wait in his room naked and all just because they want a baby with him so he would start a family with them, but my brother, oh boy… he would wrap a cloth around the girls and call a cab for them. Who does that?”
Goose pimples flushed across Tola’s skin. She was proud of Wole. “A real man does that.”
Mirabel nodded. “I quite agree with you, and I guess he would make a fantastic husband and father.”
“I have no doubt about that.”
Mirabel scoffed. “Do you think you are Wole’s type?”
Some heat flushed across Tola’s face, she must have assumed too much in her heart. “Erm…”
“Boom!!! You fell for it again.” Mirabel said, as she laughed.
Tola took a deep breath. “Could you please take it easy with me when you are joking?”
She smiled. “I am sorry, it is not in our tradition here.”
Tola nodded. “Wole pulled a prank on me this morning, I guess I would have to cope.”
Mirabel shook her head. “I can bet he brought you toothpaste and toothbrush in a dish.”
Tola nodded excitedly. “Exactly! That guy is so funny.”
Mirabel hissed. “That guy is not! That prank is so old, Mom stopped it early enough.” She said, and started laughing. “Poor boy must have missed it.”
“Could you please let me know when you are kidding and when you are not?” Tola asked, looking confused.
Mirabel nodded and emptied the contents of the bottle. “Welcome to the family.”
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Dad squatted before me. “Don’t say that, you would marry David.”
“I think you should kill me instead.” I replied, quietly. “I am ashamed of you. Is this about your name?”
He shook his head in disagreement. “No, it’s about you. About everyone.”
I yelled angrily at him. “Don’t fool me, Dad! I read the clause, I saw everything, David and his old man here would have all my inheritance, is that what you have traded for the good name you have”
He took a deep breath and whispered. “But you love David.”
I scoffed. “I don’t know what to say anymore.” I said, and helped myself up to my feet. “Let me go, Sir, or kill me now, and that’s an order.”
Bolu smiled. “That’s my type of girl. You know exactly how to swim in deep waters, very soon you would be like the whales and sharks, you have potential.”
I smiled. “SIR, very soon, I’ll kill the sharks and whales.”
“Impressive.” He replied, and opened the door. “I don’t take threats likely, Kimberly Bankole.”
I nodded. “Me neither.” I replied and walked out.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Tunji pushed the table before him away. “That’s my daughter, Bolu. How dare you?”
Bolu used a cloth to wipe his gun carefully. “I pointed a gun at David and his mom when he was only 7. Kimberly is more than that now, she should be able to take it.”
Tunji held him by the collar. “I should kill you before you finish me and my family, Bolu.”
“Forget about it, we have better things to accomplish than killing ourselves.” He said, as he pushed Tunji away. “First, we need Millaroca, it would be a major acquisition for us.”
Tunji nodded. “After then what, Kimberly is not going to marry David, you heard her.”
He scoffed. “She will. We’ll send a message to her through Wura.”
“What are you planning to do to my wife, Bolu?”
He smiled. “Just something to tinker your daughter’s head to know that she must marry my son.”
Tunji took a deep breath as he sat down. “Kim and David would be unhappy, they would hate each other.”
“That’s fine, I have always told you, we don’t need love. We just need understanding.”
Tunji took a deep breath. “Did you tell her about Bola?”
Bolu shook his head in disagreement. “I only confirmed what she already knew. But, I didn’t tell her more.”
“What about the Doctor in charge of Bola? I have a feeling Kimberly would want to know more.”
Bolu nodded. “Of course, she is inquisitive.” He picked his phone. “I need to know if Elizabeth is still alive. It’s been many years, she should have passed away out of frustration and loneliness.”
Tunji shrugged. “Elizabeth is a fighter. I don’t think she would give up easily.”
Bolu nodded. “Stupid woman! If she resurfaces anytime soon, all the wealth I have now would be threatened, I think I might have to hasten things for her.”
Tunji hissed. “Bolu, don’t have more blood on your hand. How do you sleep at night?”
Bolu took a deep breath. “When all my enemies are gone, I would sleep.”
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I took my seat beside my Mom. “How are you?”
She took my hand. “You have been crying. What happened?”
“I was just tired.” I replied, wiping a tear drop from my face. “It’s been a tiring day for me.”
She rubbed my forehead. “I understand. The Doctor said I can go home tonight, but I don’t want to return home.”
I nodded. “Where do you want to go to?”
She took a deep breath. “I want to leave this country, maybe go to Qatar or Finland, Turkey anywhere your Dad won’t think of.”
“Do you hate my Dad that much?
She shook her head. “I have suffered enough with him. I just need my sanity, is that too much to ask?”
I held her hand. “No, Mom. But I need you to help me with a few questions.”
She nodded. “Ask.”                           
“Tell me about Elizabeth Coker.”
She sighed. “No dear, why do you want to know about her?”
“She is David’s mother, I am to marry that man, I want to know about his family.”
She nodded. “Kimberly, must you marry David? You could run away with me, maybe to Puerto Rico, Rio, anywhere.”
I held her hand. “Mom, I am in love with David.”
She squeezed my hand in hers and smiled. “Love is a beautiful thing.” I smiled back. “But it has to be returned.” My smile faded. “At a time in my life, I tried to love Tunji, but he never reciprocated. I am sorry for you, honey.” She said, wiping a tear drop from her face.
I blinked as I stared at her. “David loves me, Mom.”
She took a deep breath. “Kim, I don’t believe it. David is exactly like his Dad, that kid has always been ambitious.”
“Mom, David is different, and he loves me, I love him too. I am sure about that.”
She nodded. “I won’t waste my time convincing you otherwise, if your love is so strong, ask him about his mother.”
I took a deep breath. “Mom, I know some things, I just need you to tell me more, did you and Elizabeth have a relationship at all? Were you friends?”
She nodded. “Yes, our husbands are best of friends, we had to blend, and we discovered that we had similar problems.” She paused to take a deep breath. “But, Elizabeth had always been withdrawn. She never really wanted to mingle with me, she loved to paint.”
“Do you know her whereabouts?”
She took a deep breath. “She may be dead or in a faraway place, she just took off and no one has heard from her since.”
I shook my head in disagreement. “Mom, I have to tell you something, but you must not mention it to anyone.”
“What is it?”
I took a deep breath. “Elizabeth is in Nigeria.”
Mom shook her head in disbelief.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Ini turned off the engine. “Now what?”
Henry wore a smile. “Just leave the rest to me, and stay here. I don’t want her seeing you.”
She nodded. “Hurry up then. Don’t forget to let her know everything.”
He smiled. “Don’t worry. I got this.” He said, and pressed the door bell. “Come on, Shola.” He pressed the door bell again.
The door opened aggressively. A man with dragon tattooed skin opened the door, he was only wearing his pants. “What do you want?”
Henry swallowed. “I want to see Shola.”
“Shola? Who are you?”
He stared at him. “Her cousin.”
He scoffed. “Cousin. She never mentioned any cousin to me.”
“Why should she?”
He stared at Henry hard. “Wait here.” He replied, as he slammed the door hard in Henry’s face.
The door re-opened almost immediately and Shola opened the door. Her hair was scattered and was wearing only a T-shirt and her slippers, apparently the shirt belonged to her male guest. The guest appeared behind her and smacked her buttocks. “Hurry up.”
She smiled as she turned towards Henry. “What do you want?”
Henry took a deep breath. “Who is that gringo?”
“Nicholas? He is my boyfriend. Now, what do you want?”
He scoffed. “I came to say hi, and also give you some gist.”
“What gist?”
He smiled. “Depends on how much you are willing to pay for it.”
She eyeballed him. “When you are ready, you will come back here.” She said, trying to close the door but he stuck his feet. “Wetin?”
He smiled. “The police were at Ini’s house today.”
Shola stared at him. “Come inside.”
“I like your place. It’s been a while since I have been here.” Henry said, taking his seat. “I want a drink.”
She hissed. “Now you are taking advantage of me to give me information, right?”
“A drink is the least I can ask for. You always said it, I am from a poor hungry dirty family, so I want money too, and erm…” he stared around and saw an iPhone on her table. “The iPhone.”
She nodded. “You are really a wretch!” she said, and walked inside her room and came out almost immediately and threw a pack of money at him. “That’s #50,000. Speak!”
He grinned. “I see you are now in plenty, how do you have so much money to throw around.”
“You have thirty seconds to speak.” She said, tapping her feet.
He smiled. “The Police came by her house this morning to ask some questions. What was it about oh…eh…my memory.”
Shola slammed the table hard. “Speak!”
“Sorry, Couz! I think Ini is responsible for that accident on your skin.”
She scoffed. “Of course, that criminal.”
“But how did they find out?”
He shrugged. “I don’t know, but I can always find out how things are going there, all you have to do is make me your eyes and ears.”
She nodded. “You got it! How much do you want?”
“Fifty thousand naira per information I provide you.” he said, standing up.
She held his hand. “Not too fast. Why are you doing this to Ini? Aren’t you supposed to be friends?”
He smiled. “We are friends, but you are family.”
She scoffed. “Come off it. Why then are you extorting money from me?”
“I am poor and dirty, that doesn’t change. You of all people should know that.”
She nodded. “Keep me posted.”
He smiled. “Sure!”

************************************************************************************************************************************************************
“Did you get any message on your phone?” Bolu asked, as he scrolled through his messages.
Tunji shook his head in disagreement. “No.” he said, staring at his phone. “Is there any problem.”
Bolu nodded. “I just got a text from Millaroca’s board.” He stared at Tunji. “May I have the honour of reading it to you?” Tunji nodded. Bolu cleared his throat. “Owing to the success of the last edition of Millaroca Magazine, we have decided to call for the emergency reinstatement of Mr. Adeoye as president of the board. This meeting is scheduled to hold on Monday.”
Tunji stared at him. “That’s a lie!”
Bolu smiled. “It seems Kimberly is more dangerous than we thought.”
“What does she have to do with this?”
He scoffed. “Your little monster wrote an article and it’s spreading like wild fire.” He replied, as he searched for the article online. “Here you go…Kim Banks, women are crazy about it and the youths have gone wild in respect of the new Soyinka and Achebe.”
Tunji cursed. “That girl!”
Bolu nodded. “That’s what happens when you don’t tame your child.”
“It’s not like you tamed David.” Tunji replied, angrily. “It is a voting process, right?”
Bolu nodded. “Yes, it is.”
Tunji smiled. “It is time for our money to speak, let’s meet the board members.” He pressed the speaker. “Driver, take us to the club.”
Bolu stared at him. “I thought we were going to see your wife.”
“Wura can wait till tomorrow, Kimberly is so devastated, she would probably be with her friends now at home.”
Bolu nodded. “Okay then, let’s take care of these men.”
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
“#50,000? Shola is desperate.” Ini said, as she shut the door.
Henry nodded. “Yes, she is. And I think I have unsettled her for now, so we have to set our second plan rolling.”
Ini took a deep breath. “We need to get Marcus in on our plan, but right now, he isn’t saying anything to me.”
He smiled. “It’s okay, we can still keep him in the dark for now, we would let him know later.”
A message popped on Ini’s phone. “It’s from Shola.” She announced with a smile. “She wants us to meet.”
“Decline it.”
Ini nodded. “Of course, we would milk her dry of my money that she has extorted before I go to jail.” She said with a grin.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Oyinkan walked into Ben’s living room. He hissed as she walked in. “What do you want?”
She shook her head. “That was no way to behave.”
“Your cousin humiliated me.”
She took a deep breath. “I am sorry, but Ben, I know both of your sides, and I must say, there are better ways for us to handle this, I know you like Kim.”
“I love her.”
Oyinkan rolled her eyes. “Whatever that is, Ben. But I must tell you that I know Kimberly loves David and he loves her too.”
He nodded. “Of course, I didn’t expect you to take my side, he is your cousin.”
“Ben, this is not about David. This is about you, there are too many things to love, one of which is selflessness. Ben, you are quite selfish.”
He smiled. “Oyinkan, you think I am selfish? Is this because the guy happens to be your cousin?”
She shook her head. “I want to tell you the truth because you are my friend and I care about you, your self esteem is also not good, you already feel inferior of David, and that is not good.”
He laughed. “I don’t even know what to say. It’s obvious you have decided to see me as the villain here.”
“Ben, this is not about being a villain, this is about your self esteem. You have to work on it, and from everything you have said about to me when I did not even know that you were referring to Kim and David, you have so much to work on, Ben.”
He scoffed. “You are taking sides, Oyinkan. I wonder what sort of counselor you would be when you decide to put your psychology degree to use.”
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I helped my mom as she slipped into her dress. “I have the discharge papers with me and I have called for your plane.”
“Who is the pilot? I don’t want your father knowing my new location; I don’t want to be around anymore.”
I blinked. “But Mom…”
“Kimberly, you know what to do.” She replied, and rubbed my hand. “And if David is really true, I am happy for you.”
I took a deep breath. “You are running away, Mom. You have to stay and fight back, Dad took a lot from you.”
Mom shook her head in disagreement. “I would communicate with you regularly. I would be in Calabar for a few days after which I might leave the country, I just need some fresh air, a good therapy session and my dignity back. I would be back, Kimberly.”
“Mom, I can’t help Elizabeth alone.”
She smiled. “You can. And as a matter of fact, you have.” She said, lifting Millaroca Magazine.
“But no one would know it is about her, I had to tell you for you to know.”
She nodded with a smile. “That’s true, It is all over the news. It is a good thing that you are also doing for Mr. Adeoye.”
I nodded. “Mr. Adeoye is a good man.” I stared at my phone as the backlight came up and a text popped up.
“The car is here, Mom. We can go now.” I announced. I pushed the door open and a policeman stood before me. “She wants fresh air, can’t I take my mother for a walk?”
The Policeman nodded as he stepped back. “I am sorry, ma.”
I hissed and walked out with Mom. I opened the door of the car. “Call me, Mom.”
She nodded and hugged me. “Of course my love, thank you for helping me. Now help Elizabeth get her life back, take her son to her.”
“What if she hates him?”
Mom smiled. “A mother’s heart would always forgive, it doesn’t matter how long it takes, but, you have to try.”
I wiped a tear drop from my face. “So long, Mom.”
“I would be back, Kimberly Bankole. I owe it to women like me.” she said and shut the door.
I watched the car as it drove off.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Shola pushed Ini out of the way as she rushed in. “Ini Obong what kind of joke are you trying?”
“I don’t understand.” Ini said, as she tried to close the door. “You know, this apartment is paid for and furnished by three serious ladies, now, barging in here is really rude, Shola.”
Shola scoffed. “Why did the police visit you?”
Ini took a deep breath as she took her seat. “Shola, I am surprised that you even ask. You must have gone to report the case or hint the police, right? Why are you playing innocent?”
Shola tapped her fingers. “Ini Obong, I know you. This is foul play, right? We had an agreement, how on earth did the police find out?”
Ini shrugged. “You are the one with the evidences, not me. How am I going to submit myself to the police?”
“Are you trying to tell me that you knew nothing about the police coming to see you?”
Ini nodded. “Zilch!”
Shola took a deep breath. “Oh God…what could be going on?”
Moment to pounce! Ini wore a wry smile and stared at Shola. “How did you know that the police were here? Are you following me, Shola?”
Shola blinked. “What? Why? I have no reason to follow you. Look Ini, we had better find a solution to this, else you are going down. You are the one who hurt me.”
Ini nodded in agreement. “Yes, I know.”
Shola smiled and picked her purse. “Well…seems justice was going to take its course either way, someone reported you. Ini dear, your life is over.”
“I know.” Ini replied. She walked over to the door. “Please leave.”
Shola grinned. “You know what, it is unfortunate that you would go down in history like this, but this is why you should not be too desperate my dear.” She smiled as she touched Ini’s cheek. “I’ll visit you in prison once a month, but if they put you in solitary, I am sorry.” She blew a kiss at Ini and walked out.
Ini ensured that Shola was far out of sight before she started her victory dance in the room.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Bolu Coker shut the door of the room. “Thank you for having us.” He said, smiling in Tunji Bankole’s direction. “Not to take any of your time, we hear there is a decision to re-vote Adeoye back into Millaroca.”
“Yes, I suggested it. Erm…I don’t know if you have read the last piece on the supposed last edition of Millaroca. It has been spreading like wild fire, in fact, as of today, almost all the women came in with a copy of Millaroca, just like old times.” Chief Bello replied with a smile. “It seems Adeoye saved his best for the last.”
Tunji cleared his throat. “Does this mean that there won’t be the sale of Millaroca?”
Chief Bello cleared his throat and stared at the other board members. “Gentlemen, I think Millaroca can do much better if we invest our time in it as members rather than sell it.”
“We already had an agreement to sell to them.” Alhaji Jega replied.
Bolu Coker smiled. “At least some people still know how to honour their words, Bello. Thank you, Jega.”
Chief Bello stared hard at Jega. “Why would we turn a long standing business into a casino? Isn’t that unwise and more personal than beneficial?”
Jega smiled. “Bello, it is not our business, we made a promise, we would keep to our word.”
Bello scoffed. “As the second senior member of the board, I have decided that we revote, I hope you all sleep over it, and let your good consciences speak to you all.” He stands up. “I don’t regret us trying to take the company from Adeoye, see the good result it fetched us, a power packed Article.” He cleared his throat and stared at Bolu Coker. “You know, when I read it, it took my heart to a long long time ago, and it brought back memories of my friend, Elizabeth. Where is she, Bolu Coker?”
“Are we here to talk about my wife?” Bolu asked.
Bello shrugged. “No, the article touched me too much, and I just felt my heart go out to her. It’s been years”
Bolu smiled. “Elizabeth is very popular, all you have to do is search the internet. You would find articles on her.”
Bello nodded and smiled at Tunji Bankole. “I think your daughter is a great writer.” He said, and walked out.
Tunji took a deep breath. “So, can we count on you?”
The others nodded in affirmative. Jega stared at them. “There is however a tiny snag, there is a silent partner at Millaroca that we have never heard of, and it is rumored that the person owns 5%, so, even with all our percents pulled together, we may not be able to topple Adeoye if Adeoye wins that partner over.”
Bolu Coker snapped. “God! So, the remaining of you have 50%, right?”
Jega nodded. “Exactly, and it seems Bello would be giving his share to Adeoye, but if we can get the silent partner’s 5% on our side and stop Adeoye from having that 5%, we would be able to overthrow him.”
Tunji hissed. “Who is this silent partner?”
Bolu scoffed. “Tunji, he is a silent player, that’s why we don’t know.”
“But Bello knows.” Jega replied.

12 comments:

  1. Jeeez,d story is just begining,I swear tunji is very dense/dumb. Dis is gettin seriously serious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nyc one on ur beautiful bornday. Ur ink wnt run dry

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st of all, happy cakeday Tommyslav. Wie's d parry @ o? I can't blive we still av empty headed pple lyk Tunji Bankole. He's jes so dumb, if not, hw can he make friends wiv an animalistic being lyk Bolu. DFH, d story has jes began *in naija advertisement voice*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Babes!! Nyc Work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday swthrt.... Wishin u LLNP....Queen

    ReplyDelete
  6. HBD Tomi....fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday dear hope ur having a gud day?nice write up this wk

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmmmmmm! Wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.